Update From Local Government Victoria
At the 13 January 2017 Committee Meeting Dr Graeme Emonson provided an update on news relating to the Local Government sector, available funding programs and important updates from LGV.
Dr Emonson updated members with the following news from LGV:
- A new Finance and Accounting Support Team (FAST) has been announced and aims to improve the financial sustainability of local governments, particularly in rural and regional Victoria. The FAST program is delivered by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning in three streams; expert financial support; grant programs, and; research and development. Click here for more information
- The review of the Local Government Act is continuing, with the aim of responding to calls from the local government sector for legislative reform. Click here for more information
- 27 applications had been received for the current Living Libraries capital funding program and the Minister is expected to make funding announcement in February. Click here for more information
- An LGV directions paper relating to Councils and Emergencies has been released for comment. The directions paper describes councils’ current emergency management responsibilities and actions, based on their legislative requirements. Submissions are open until 8 May 2017. Click here for more information
- The Minister for Local Government, the Hon Natalie Hutchins MP, has set the cap on Victorian council rate rises at 2%, in line with the forecasted Consumer Price Index (CPI) for Financial Year 2017-18. Deadlines for higher rate cap applications have been extended to 31 May 2017 and the deadlines for the adoption of Council budgets and Strategic Resource Plans has been extended to 31 August 2017. Click here for more information
- The State Government has released two new reports, the Victorian Gender Equality Strategy and the Victorian Aboriginal and Local Government Action Plan.